[isabelle-dev] build and run Isabelle/jEdit on the spot

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jun 8 22:43:15 CEST 2011

On Sun, 22 May 2011, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> ###
> ### Building Isabelle/Scala layer ...
> ###
> General/xml.scala:153: error: value err is not a member of package System
>          case bad => System.err.println("XML.cache_actor: ignoring bad input
> " + bad)

I have seen such unavailability of java.lang.System before, but have no
idea about the reasons.  In the JVM community there is the proverbial
"CLASSPATH problem", which means that the whole concept is broken in many
subtle ways.

You should make sure that JAVA_HOME points to JDK 1.6 from Oracle or Apple
(yes that is evil, but it is the only version that really works).

SCALA_HOME should be 2.8.1.final, e.g. by re-using the scala component
from Isabelle2011.

Then make sure that all previous jars are purged, as already pointed out
by Alex.