[isabelle-dev] build and run Isabelle/jEdit on the spot

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jul 7 19:06:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> after cloning the Isabelle repository from scratch the Isabelle/Scala layer
> finally builds. However, when building Isabelle/jEdit I still get the error
>
> src/plugin.scala:410: error: value setStyleExtender is not a member of object
> org.gjt.sp.util.SyntaxUtilities
>    SyntaxUtilities.setStyleExtender(new Token_Markup.Style_Extender)
>                    ^
> src/token_markup.scala:82: error: type StyleExtender is not a member of
> object org.gjt.sp.util.SyntaxUtilities
>  class Style_Extender extends SyntaxUtilities.StyleExtender

You need to update the auxiliary jedit_build component, which is
http://www4.in.tum.de/~wenzelm/test/jedit_build-20110622.tar.gz for
Isabelle/93dcfcf91484.  Also make sure that any old "jedit" and
"jedit_build" components are disposed.

Since isatest now includes a full build of Isabelle/Scala and
Isabelle/jEdit, you can get this jedit_build version information by
watching the $MAKEALL spot in Admin/makedist, e.g. here
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/93dcfcf91484/Admin/isatest/isatest-makedist#l62

Of course, you can also just download the snapshot from
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/

> My setup is:
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_23
> SCALA_HOME=/usr/local/Isabelle2011/contrib/scala-2.8.1.final
> CLASSPATH=
>
> Maybe my CLASSPATH needs to be non-empty?

This is OK.

I have recently learned about JVM "extensions" and eliminated the user
CLASSPATH, to enable things like our own encoding at the lowest possible
level.  See also http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/d477b92109b8

It has also reduced the jar volume by several MB, since certain libraries
are now provided in exactly one copy, independently how smart applications
like jEdit change the class loader hierarchy.