[isabelle-dev] Isabelle release

Rafal Kolanski rafalk at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Jan 7 12:07:17 CET 2011

On 07/01/11 20:07, Michael Norrish wrote:
> On 7/01/11 8:05 PM, Alexander Krauss wrote:
>> But then we need a Marketing division to come up with a new name every 8
>> months :-}. Year numbers are very comfortable.
>
> You either come up with a set of names to use, or just do what most
> software projects do (commercial and open source both), and use numbers.
> Does the gcc project have this problem? Does Linux? Does emacs?
>
> Decide retroactively that everything up until this point was Isabelle 1,
> and announce the release of Isabelle 2.
>
> Or whatever set of numbers floats your boat...

Taking a page from a successful marketing campaign, we could also adopt
a variation on the Ubuntu way of naming things, two numbers: year and
month. So this would be Isabelle 10.01.

We can even add silly names like Anomalous Assumption, Bound Beta,
Circular Coinduction, Dramatic Datatype, Epic Elimination, etc.

I thought this might be a bit too silly to send to the dev list, but a
third party encouraged me to do so anyway :)

Rafal Kolanski.