[isabelle-dev] "Divergent renames"

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Dec 1 12:32:53 CET 2011

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011, Jasmin Christian Blanchette wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just pulled and updated ("hg pull -u") from the main repository and got these strange warnings:
>
> Fügte 118 Änderungssätze mit 572 Änderungen zu 411 Dateien hinzu
> warning: detected divergent renames of src/Pure/General/markup.ML to:
> src/Pure/PIDE/isabelle_markup.ML
> src/Pure/PIDE/markup.ML
> warning: detected divergent renames of src/Pure/General/markup.scala to:
> src/Pure/PIDE/isabelle_markup.scala
> src/Pure/PIDE/markup.scala
> 404 files updated, 0 files merged, 6 files removed, 0 files unresolved
>
> Last time I had strange warnings from Mercurial must have been almost three years ago; they reflected a bug in Mercurial on the Mac (w.r.t. case insensitivity of the file system) and my ignoring them lead to some serious trouble.
>
> Anybody knows whether they're harmful?

Good question.  There is a brief explanation at
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/mercurial-in-daily-use.html
in the section "Divergent renames and merging".

Did it produce any merge node locally?  What does "hg out" say?

BTW, what I've done here (d83797ef0d2d) with the files is to use "hg cp
..." and then edit both copies.