[isabelle-dev] (Re-)introducing set as a type constructor rather than as mere abbreviation

Brian Huffman brianh at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Aug 26 18:33:25 CEST 2011

Here's one possible approach to the set-axiomatization/typedef issue:

As a new primitive, we could have something like a "pred_typedef"
operation that uses predicates. This would work just like the
new_type_definition facility of HOL4, etc.

The type "'a set" could be introduced definitionally using "pred_typedef".

After type "'a set" has been defined, we can implement the "typedef"
command, preserving its current behavior, as a thin wrapper on top of
"pred_typedef".

This approach would let us avoid having to axiomatize the 'a set type.
Also, for those of us who like predicates, "pred_typedef" might be
rather useful as a user-level command.

- Brian