[isabelle-dev] NEWS: expand_fun_eq -> ext_iff, expand_set_eq -> set_ext_iff

Brian Huffman brianh at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Sep 7 21:04:02 CEST 2010

OK, this makes sense. It is nice to have the pair of lemmas "foo_ext"
and "foo_ext_iff" for each function-like type "foo".

So do you propose that we rename all of the expand_*_eq lemmas that I
listed before? (It would also be good to make sure there is a
properly-named *_ext lemma corresponding to each one.)

We should also come up with a consistent naming scheme for the
analogous lemmas for product-like types (incl. prod and complex). Here
are the names currently in use:

"fst a = fst b ==> snd a = snd b ==> a = b" .... prod_eqI
"a = b <--> fst a = fst b /\ snd a = snd b" .... Pair_fst_snd_iff,
expand_prod_eq

"Re x = Re y ==> Im x = Im y ==> x = y" .... complex_equality
"x = y <--> Re x = Re y /\ Im x = Im y" .... complex_Re_Im_cancel_iff,
expand_complex_eq

The names {prod,complex}_ext and {prod,complex}_ext_iff would be a bit
strange. But how about {prod,complex}_eqI and {prod,complex}_eq_iff ?

I'm open to other suggestions, but I would like to be rid of the names
"Pair_fst_snd_iff" (a bit long, and the lemma doesn't even mention the
"Pair" constructor) and "complex_Re_Im_cancel_iff" (also long, and I
don't know what "cancel" is supposed to mean here).

- Brian