[isabelle-dev] Sledgehammer renaming

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jan 13 19:06:39 CET 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Jasmin Blanchette wrote:

> I like the ATP_Manager's functionality; that's why I want to make it
> more general and useful, rather than copy-paste it in every asynchronous
> diagnosis tool. (E.g. today Nitpick can run asynchronously by specifying
> an option, but there's no equivalent to "atp_kill" or "atp_messages".)

BTW, the whole ATP_Manager as a separate "manager" is only a workaround of
the synchronous nature of Proof General.  As already pointed out many
times, the Isar toplevel is only waiting for asynchronous interfaces to
become usable.  Then any of this will be just a regular dignostic command,
maybe with some indication about timeouts etc.

Moreover, here is a general rule of thumb of changing a big system
successfully: At first the system is by definition always "right" the way
it happens to be.  Then after more and more investigation into the status
quo, understanding slowly emerges.  Only then there is the point to do
some small amendments to make the system "really right" -- of course only
until the next round of improvements.

Starting with "lets first get all this existing stuff right" quickly leads
into desaster.