[isabelle-dev] Unicode tokens and Isabelle fonts

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jul 29 17:04:02 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, David Aspinall wrote:

> Well, please let me know what those are by reporting here:
>
> http://proofgeneral.inf.ed.ac.uk/trac/
>
> ... there you'll find that I am only 4 weeks late with PG 4.0

Good to see this back to live.  Just a few days ago even the tracker was
down, and all I could find in the changelog was a very old commit of mine.

> By the way, I tried the STIX beta release (still available on
> repositories I think) and found they were pretty good (none of the
> problems Lucas mentions), the main problem for Emacs/Isabelle perhaps
> being that the fonts do not have a fixed width variant.  I certainly
> don't think the designers are "clueless".

Yes, I agree that there is some hope.  The non-fixed nature of the font
should not be too bad, with X-Symbol there are also varying widths. I will
be the first to delete my crappy ttf symbol fonts when STIX is there.

Right now, I am hoping for the following "coming soon" components to
emerge just in time for our Scala/JVM efforts:

   * STIX fonts.

   * JWebPane as officiel release from Sun (this seems to be a quite good
     Java/JVM view on Webkit).

   * Maybe an updated version of Sun's JVM-based PDF viewer -- seems to be
     part of some Fx stuff coming a bit later.

In the mean time we have our own problems of getting robust Isabelle/Scala
integration, with all the gory details done right, so that in the end
there will be a usable system.