[isabelle-dev] Polynomial theory

Amine Chaieb ac638 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jan 11 17:25:55 CET 2009

Hi,

This looks like a nice version of Clemen's Algebra/poly/Univ_Poly2.thy.
I guess it is "justified" to add code-axioms here to implement 'a poly
with a list, or better once one proves the relation to the executable
version, I think Florian has a fancy mechanism to make it work?

We have many polynomials in Isabelle and we need some serious work to
unify the approaches. There is still the locale based (maybe the most
abstract version Algebra/Univ_Poly.thy). I also have a reflective
formalization of Multivariate polynomials which I have not committed.
When we add the Vectors theory (the finite Cartesian product
construction) we could formalize multivariate polynomials appropriately,
then Univariate polynomials will become again an instance of that
general theory. I don't know what is the best way to go...

I recently developed (and still developing) a theory of (univariate)
formal power series (infinite polynomials, if we like) and was
originally also hoping to deduce everything about polynomials from it.
It introduces a type constructor 'a fps which is isomorphic to nat => 'a.

Unfortunately the class mechanism can only constrain the range 'a and
hence we can not recover the polynomials from that formalization. But if
you happen to see a way to do it, then please let me know.

Best wishes,

Amine.