[isabelle-dev] Suc 0 necessary?

Brian Huffman brianh at cs.pdx.edu
Mon Feb 23 15:47:21 CET 2009

I'd be interested to learn more about the background of the "Suc 0"
issue; this is the first time I've seen it discussed on the mailing
list.

What I see as the deeper question is, why is "1 = Suc 0" declared as a
simp rule?

There are two possible views of type nat:

1) an inductive datatype with values 0, Suc 0, Suc (Suc 0), ...
2) an abstract numeric type with values 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...

By having "1 = Suc 0" declared [simp], it seems that users are
required to take view 1 to a certain extent, whether they want to or
not. It is actually difficult to use view 2 (for example,
Library/Euclidean_Space.thy tries to use view 2; it has "simp del:
One_nat_def" all over the place).

Doesn't it make sense to leave it to users to decide which
representation they want? Is there really any convincing reason why "1
= Suc 0" needs to be a simp rule?

- Brian