[isabelle-dev] [Fwd: SourceForge.net CVS Migration and Downtime Announcement]

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Sep 30 13:03:51 CEST 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Gerwin Klein wrote:

> While we're at it: what is the general feeling towards migrating the AFP
> to svn?
>
> (Mercurial would be nicer, but sourceforge offers only CVS and SVN).
>
> pro: more flexible, renaming of directories, better handling of branches,
>      "atomic" commits
> con: we need to migrate

My feeling is that converting *to* SVN is about two years late.  Many
projects are already moving away *from* SVN, to Git or Mercurial.

Did you check
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MercurialHosting ? The
Repository host need not coincide with the webspace, if you worry about
the afp.sf.net URL.  There are also some hacks to make it work with
SourceForge
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MercurialOnSourceforge but
this is probably not quite what the hoster expects.

Moving AFP to Mercurial before the main Isabelle repository would have
another benefit, giving Isabelle developers some practice in working with
the new environment.  (Mercurial is much more powerful than CVS/SVN, and
there is more potential to do things wrong for inexperienced users.)