[isabelle-dev] Isabelle on Mercurial

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 1 18:46:23 CET 2008

A few more tips on getting started in a safe way, and avoiding surprises:

  * Use "hg outgoing" to see beforehand what "hg push" would do;  the same
    works for "hg incoming" and "hg pull".

    There is a real danger of messing up our central push area by merging
    it with my earlier attempt of the CVS -> hg conversion, which I had to
    discontinue some months ago.  If you still happen to have a clone
    around on your machine, delete it now!

  * An easy way to protect against gross mistakes is to install the
    following hook in your ~/.hgrc on the home directory at TUM:

    [hooks]
    pretxnchangegroup = /home/isabelle-repository/repos/sanity-check

    The sanity check prevents pushes that are unusually big, or consist of
    a large number of changesets -- as in the above case of merging with
    the bogus version of the old Isabelle repository.

    This hook is installed in /home/isabelle-repository/repos/.hg/hgrc
    already, but the Mercurial security model prevents its execution if
    you are not wenzelm.  This is what the warning "Not trusting file ..."
    refers to.