[isabelle-dev] position of Hilbert_Choice in the HOL theory hierarchy

John Matthews matthews at galois.com
Sun Sep 16 19:45:14 CEST 2007

I'm a little surprised to hear Sledgehammer needs a general axiom of
choice. After all, first order logic doesn't. Could the uses of
Hilbert's choice in Sledgehammer be replaced with dynamic calls to
ax_specification? That gives you a lot of the power of Hilbert
choice, but is a conservative extension.

I guess it would be nice to have a way to remove the constants from
the theory afterward, since they're only being used for
skolemization. Even better would be a local version of
ax_specification, because then you could just throw away the
enclosing locale after exporting the theorem generated by metis.

-john