[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/VSCode bootstrap issue: "SML lexical error: bad input..."

Kevin Kappelmann kevin.kappelmann at tum.de
Wed Apr 20 13:45:27 CEST 2022

Hi all,

First I want to thank Makarius and the people involved at TUM for
brushing up Isabelle/VSCode! Secondly, I want to report an - I suppose
parsing - issue when bootstraping Pure. Steps to reproduce in
Isabelle/a36a1cc0144c:

1. Start Isabelle/VSCode by using `isabelle vscode -l HOL`
2. Create and open a theory `Scratch.thy` with content
```
theory Scratch
   imports Main
begin

ML‹
   val _ = METHOD
›

end
```
3. Open `method.ML` (e.g. ctrl+click on `METHOD` in `Scratch.thy`)
4. Open `Pure/ROOT.ML` and wait for the bootstrap process
5. An error appears in the Isabelle output panel:
```
SML lexical error: bad input (line 229 of
"/my/path/to/isabelle/src/Pure/Isar/method.ML")
```

Best wishes,

Kevin