[isabelle-dev] Java 17 LTS

Martin Desharnais martin.desharnais at posteo.de
Thu Sep 23 12:05:00 CEST 2021

Hi Makarius,

> Another problem is the JVM monitor: it accesses private Sun modules that are
> no longer accessible in Java 17.
>
> I need to study the situation to figure out workarounds or alternatives (e.g.
> a different monitor tool).

I had a similar sounding problem in another project in the past when
updating to openjdk-16. In my case, the problem came from JEP 396
(Strongly Encapsulate JDK Internals by Default) [1]. The "Description"
section describes how one may specify "--illegal-access=permit" at java
launch to re-enable access to these internals. In my case, that solved
the problem.

Maybe something similar is happening with the JVM monitor?

Cheers,
Martin

[1]: https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/396