[isabelle-dev] A proposal for the website

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Nov 3 20:57:20 CET 2020

On 03/11/2020 13:22, Mark Wassell wrote:

> A benefit of the email list and Stack Overflow is that they are stores of
> wisdom, as well as being a medium for asking questions and getting answers. We
> get this 'for free' as emails and SO posts appear in search engine results.
>
> Do Zulip chats appear in search engine results?

That is an important question.

Over many years, I've understood globally indexed Mailman archives as a key
source of information on the Net.

Around 2010, Stackoverflow became increasingly prominent as end-point of web
search. This was also my main motivation to spend time on it in 2012.

Today, I see a lot of Discourse pages in search results, gradually replacing
both Mailman and Stackoverflow.

I never see Zulip, though, and this explains my wording of "walled garden" or
"walled site".

BUT: the Lean community has this public archive generated from the hidden
garden: https://leanprover-community.github.io/archive

So lets continue under the assumption that both Zulip Chat and Discourse are
worth researching as a technology and sociology, and potential successor to
Mailman.

This is also a call for further experience reports on either system (or even
something else).