[isabelle-dev] A proposal for the website

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 18:13:10 CET 2020

I’m registered with both. I don’t much use either. My impression is that our mailing list carries more traffic than Stack Overflow, but Zulip seems to carry much more traffic than either.

I don’t know why we should try to build our own discussion server. Unless we can do it better, we shall struggle to lure people away from the existing options. Even if we could, is this really our priority? We don’t need to reinvent every wheel.

Take a look at https://isabelle.zulipchat.com/ where people have created streams covering a variety of topics and where discussions seem to be going on more or less constantly. It’s actually heartening to see these communities developing spontaneously, with no encouragement on our part.

Larry