[isabelle-dev] https://discourse.org as replacement for mailman, stackoverflow, zulip

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sun Jan 12 18:02:24 CET 2020

On 12/01/2020 17:22, Gergely Buday wrote:
> What's the problem with the mailing list?It does have an archive that you control.

Personally, I have no problems with Mailman, as long as I don't have to
administrate it (which is very difficult).

Generally, my impression is that 70% of our users no longer know how a Mailman
list works. Approx. 3 years ago there has been a steep decline on
isabelle-users (likewise on coq-club) making them a forum for old-school guys.

> Slack.com is an alternative if you want yet another web2.0 gadget.

I don't want any gadgets nor cool toys. The general specification:

  * plain and solid technology that solves more problems than it introduces

  * self-hosted open-source platform (potentially a small company behind it)