[isabelle-dev] Phabricator for Isabelle development

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Sep 30 19:50:06 CEST 2019

On 25/09/2019 21:58, Makarius wrote:
> Our new Phabricator service for Isabelle development is taking shape:
> https://phabricator.sketis.net
>
> The platform provides many Apps to support software development, but so
> far I have focused on the key things, like repository hosting and task
> management ("tickets"). Wiki documentation and blogs are also enabled,
> but still need to find their proper use (e.g. a blog for Isabelle/NEWS).
>
> The user participation model is still under consideration. For example:
> Who can create an account and contribute to tasks and discussions?

Update: the new URL https://isabelle-dev.sketis.net already indicates
that this is all about isabelle-dev, thus the former "isabelle-dev"
project group inside it has become obsolete.

Registered users are able to participate in creation/discussion of Tasks
("tickets"), without requiring extra group membership. (Such items
should always be linked to the repository versions they talk about.)

In contrast, members of the "isabelle-repository" project group will
eventually have a few more possibilities.

By default everything is world-readable, without demanding registration.
This is not a fenced garden: general public can watch what the
distinguished members are doing.

Side-remark: the more time I spent with Phabricator as software
technology, the more I like it. There are a few minor inconveniences,
but it should be easy to overcome them by Isabelle tools, e.g. "isabelle
phabricator_hg_init" to setup a fresh or cloned repository, without
requiring so many clicks.

I have many further ideas (still on my private TODO list instead of the
"phabricator-setup" group), e.g. how to host multiple (independent)
instances with minimal Linux system administration overhead. Renting a
virtual machine is very cheap, but maintaining it costs time, so I will
try hard to keep it at just one Ubuntu server.