[isabelle-dev] NEWS: proper session directories and faster PIDE startup

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Sep 12 17:23:25 CEST 2019

On 12/09/2019 16:59, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

>>> While logically such "collecting sessions" might be irrelevant, they are
>>> very convenient in terms of saving build time.
>>
>> Even worse, they often waste more time than they save.
>
> For paper writing (which Christian referred to) they are indispensible.
> It would kill you if you had to load all the theories once more when you
> modify the paper based on them.

I was talking implicitly about AFP: people sometimes publish "private"
session setups there that cause lots of problems.

This unclear situation in AFP was the main reason why we had to suffered
2 years with increasingly slow PIDE startup times.

I am glad that it has turned out so well in current AFP/98320942654a.