[isabelle-dev] Printing from Isabelle/jedit

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri May 31 19:34:14 CEST 2019

On 31/05/2019 17:33, Makarius wrote:
> On 31/05/2019 14:26, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
>> In 8dd987397e31, when I try to print (Cmd-P) I get
>>
>> "An error occurred while trying to print: Invalid print service"
>
> Over the years, I have occasionally seen such an error, but only rarely.
> I don't see it now.

For the record: I have tested this with a local USB printer on

  * macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
  * macOS 10.14.5 Mojave
  * Ubuntu 18.04.2

It works fine, after making sure that the paper format is A4.

Ultimately this is a function of Java and jEdit interacting with the
printer sub-system of the OS. This has always been a bit fragile.

An alternative that bypasses all this is the Isabelle/jEdit action
isabelle.preview or isabelle.draft (available in the menu Plugins /
Isabelle as items "Show ... in browser").

The browser can then be used for printing. I have just tried it and
found other problems with macOS firing up Firefox properly, but after 3
attempts it did work.