[isabelle-dev] Sketch and explore [was: performance problems]

Mathias Fleury mathias.fleury12 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 22:19:57 CET 2019

Hello Florian,

> since my old »Explorer« draft, although never meant to be something
> beyond a proof of concept, seems to be used productively, I spent some
> time to polish it up a little, based on rev. c15ee153dec1.

Thanks for doing that!

I tried it for a few minutes and:
  * it would be nice if the proof could be enclosed with cartouches instead of quotes, but the proper fix is to change ATP_Util.maybe_quote, which in turn would also make it possible to have cartouche in Sledgehammer proof.

  * I don't like the idea that sketch and explore require an additional argument. I often use (a variant of) it on goals generated by refine_vcg (from Refine_Imperative_HOL). I guess I could call "sketch (tactic ‹all_tac›)", but I would prefer that no argument means no tactic call. On the other hand, I might have a strange use-case.

> * Indentation does not consider any pre-existing indentation.

Given that indentation is done purely on the Isabelle/jEdit side, I don't think there is any way to make this work.

Cheers,
Mathias