[isabelle-dev] [Spam] AFP hosting

Jasmin Blanchette j.c.blanchette at vu.nl
Mon Aug 26 10:46:52 CEST 2019

Gerwin wrote:

> There is another option for the AFP: we could host on github and use the mercurial git plugin [https://hg-git.github.io] to work with it as if it was a mercurial repo. I don’t have much experience with how stable that option is, but it would be free and it would be easy on account management.

I've been using hg-git since 2015, notably for my main private repository. A quick check on my disk reveals that's how I'm accessing 32 git repositories.

I find that the plugin works well for branch-free repositories. I don't know what it would do with git branches, and for such repositories I use git directly.

The main things I noticed about hg-git:

1. The first time you use it it refuses to push. One has to enter

	hg bookmark -f master

2. When merging, "hg merge" is never enough; you need e.g. "hg merge tip".

3. Once in a while, I get low level Python errors. That gets sorted out by updating hg-git. hg-git seems to depend on quite a bit of Python libraries, so it's easy for them to get out of sync if I update my system.

4. You can't refer to revision numbers directly in your change logs, because these are different in git and hg.

Jasmin