[isabelle-dev] Sunsetting Mercurial support in Bitbucket

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Aug 23 10:44:16 CEST 2019

On 23/08/2019 01:19, Joshua Chen wrote:
> Could we also please avoid language and notions of "elitism"?
>
> It's already hard enough as it is for newcomers to learn how to set up
> and work with the system, find documentation, etc. without such a
> culture in the background.

I can try to find more fitting words, but the notion behind it is very
important for Isabelle: it is the reason why things generally work so
smoothly with relatively little resource requirements (even with most
people not even noticing.)

The reason why I have been so explicit about it this time: I've been
visiting colleagues in Paris (including Coq developers), and later had
discussions with other people in Prague about related topics. They have
huge problems by being too uncritical about doing it like the majority
(or "industry") does.

Again: I am very glad that our situation is so good, in contrast to e.g.
the average Github project.