[isabelle-dev] Further plans for https://isabelle.sketis.net/repos

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Aug 22 23:05:23 CEST 2019

Already some time ago I have consolidated important add-on repositories
for Isabelle development, strategically moving away from corporate
providers like Bitbucket (such big market players are often erratic in
their moves, being subject to market laws).

The result was the rather modest https://isabelle.sketis.net/repos -- it
was very easy to install (and maintain) on top of a standard Ubuntu
server installation. This works for quasi-static repositories, without
user-account management etc.

To get more repository infrastructure, my research at that time  ended
at Phabricator by Phacility, see https://www.phacility.com/phabricator

Despite strange product/company name, this looks fairly good at first
sight. It is an open-source project backed by a small company: both
self-hosting and paid hosting is possible.

My plan was (and still is) to try this out on my own server
https://isabelle.sketis.net (which merely costs 5 EUR per month at a
well-respected small hosting provider in Germany; it could be any other
provider).

The Bitbucket incident is further motivation to continue working on this
soon. Instead of participating in noisy discussions about what the BIG
INDUSTRY is doing, I will save the energy and invest in further
investigations about plain and good technologies. There is almost 1 year
of time left.

Of course, if anybody has further hints (or experience reports), this is
the place to contribute.

The general approach should be:

  * open-source basis
  * preferably self-hosting, on standard virtual machines
  * good culture, good manners, good style