[isabelle-dev] window type of Isabelle/jEdit splash screen

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 30 13:57:08 CEST 2019

On 30/04/2019 13:22, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> In Isabelle2018 the splash screen of Isabelle/jEdit has the X property
>
>   _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG
>
> while with 2388e0d2827b it has
>
>   _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
>
> This seems to be taken into account by my window manager (i3) in order
> to decide whether the corresponding window should be floating or not.
> The effect on my machine is that with Isabelle2018 the splash screen is
> a nice small rectangle in the middle of my screen, while with
> 2388e0d2827b it is a big mostly gray blob that takes as much space as is
> available.
>
> Is there any specific reason why the window type of the splash screen
> changed?

That could be due to jdk-8 vs. jdk-11, or an update of the jedit_build
components.

Can you shuffle these versions a bit, to find out where the change
happens in the history?

Myself, I do not really understand how these things work. E.g. I have
recently switched to Budgie Linux with a new fork of the Gnome Window
manager that is not properly supported by Java 11 / AWT / Swing. I am
merely ignoring some of the drop-outs.

These Java guys are so conservative that it will probably take 10 more
years to get this right, maybe when X11 will be discontinued altogether.