[isabelle-dev] Problems building Isabelle/Scala

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sun Apr 7 12:58:42 CEST 2019

On 06/04/2019 20:09, Makarius wrote:

>> Instead of bisect, I took an educated guess after looking at the file history of Admin/components/main. So the first bad commit for me is b578749daa62 (which introduces scala 2.12.8). With its parent isabelle jedit -bf works.
>>
>> Funnily, my operating system installation of scala is 2.12.8 too and I don't have any problems with it.

Does it mean you can use that other scala-2.12.8 to build Isabelle/Scala?

According to the release notes
https://github.com/scala/scala/releases/tag/v2.12.8 that version is
notable in introducing a subtle change in the produced JVM byte code.
There could be something odd with the jars of the Isabelle component, or
conflicts with slightly different local Scala installations.

In the worst case we just return to scala-2.12.7, because the above
update does not look very significant.

>> Not sure how to proceed from here.
>
> For the moment you can just return to an older scala component in
> $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings, e.g. like this:
>
>   init_component "$HOME/.isabelle/contrib/scala-2.12.6"
>
> or to whatever other version you see fit.

Sometimes odd crashes are just a consequence of too little JVM
heap/stack space.

I have now updated the defaults to -Xms512m -Xmx2560m -Xss16m (which was
already standard for Isabelle/Scala itself):

changeset:   70076:3b3089863eda
tag:         tip
user:        wenzelm
date:        Sun Apr 07 12:44:37 2019 +0200
files:       etc/settings
uniform JVM heap options for Isabelle/Scala tools and scalac (again);