[isabelle-dev] Problems building Isabelle/Scala

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Apr 5 21:43:01 CEST 2019

On 05/04/2019 17:30, Traytel  Dmitriy wrote:

> I have the same problem as Jasmin (on a MacBook Pro running macOS 10.14.3).
>
> I can build Isabelle2018 (also from the repository via hg update -r
> Isabelle2018).
>
> Stack Trace
> main [1] (RUNNABLE)
>    scala.tools.nsc.ast.Trees.newStrictTreeCopier line: 108
>    scala.tools.nsc.ast.Trees.newStrictTreeCopier$ line: 108
>    scala.tools.nsc.Global.newStrictTreeCopier line: 44
>    scala.tools.nsc.Global.newStrictTreeCopier line: 44

This is the Scala compiler -- the "nsc" package refers to the "new scala
compiler".

Some years ago we have had a similar situation where Scala-generated
Java Byte Code did not work properly on certain multicore Macs. Here the
compiler itself gets into problems, but it also consists of
Scala-generated Java Byte Code.

I have presently two mac Minis available for testing, of quite different
age. Both are running current macOS 10.14.4, and both can build
"isabelle jedit -b -f" with current tip 9b34dbeb1103.

So I cannot do anything right now -- it works for me on my hardware.

Since you manage to build Isabelle2018, you could run "hg bisect" to
find the problem in the history. This will be a bit time-consuming, though.

Note that you need to run "isabelle components -a" and a strict
"isabelle jedit -b -f" in every step.