[isabelle-dev] Problems building Isabelle/Scala

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Apr 5 11:54:42 CEST 2019

On 05/04/2019 11:06, Jasmin Blanchette wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Isabelle on two new laptops and am running into the same on both. One is a MacBook Air, the other a MacBook Pro. Both are running macOS Mojave 10.4.4.
>
> What happens is simple. After cloning the Isabelle repository (350acd36) and installed the necessary components, I type
>
> 	./bin/isabelle jedit -b -f
>
> as suggested in "README_REPOSITORY" and then it answers
>
> 	### Building Isabelle/Scala
>
> Things remain like this for over 20 minutes, at which point I give up. The CPU generates a lot of heat, though.
>
> Has anyone any idea of what's going on?

Do you manage to build Isabelle2018 on that machine? E.g. after "hg up
-r Isabelle2018" and "isabelle components -a".

There could be something wrong in the interaction of Apple HW / OS
versus Java, Scala, Isabelle Java/Scala options. The latter are provided
via the following settings:
https://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/annotate/5b75480f371a/etc/settings#l11
-- you should check that your $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings somehow
fit to that.

You can shuffle jdk components in local settings like this:

  init_component "$HOME/.isabelle/contrib/jdk-8u181"
  init_component "$HOME/.isabelle/contrib/jdk-11"

This jdk-11 is the OpenJDK from Oracle. We are now using a different one
from https://adoptopenjdk.net (e.g. current jdk-11.0.2+9).