[isabelle-dev] NEWS: discontinued old-style inner comments

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sun Sep 23 23:19:05 CEST 2018

*** General ***

* Old-style inner comments (* ... *) within the term language are no
longer supported (legacy feature in Isabelle2018).

This refers to Isabelle/6e9df530b441.

There were a few remaining uses in AFP. Notable changes are
AFP/58b893c52562 and AFP/bf2659bf0a46, where I had to edit sources
generated by LEM (!). I don't know how LEM is maintained: it needs to
produce different inner comments next time, and can actually use
\<comment> CARTOUCHE notation uniformly for inner and outer comments --
also note that this needs to be LaTeX-conformant, e.g. by another nested
cartouche or \<^verbatim>CARTOUCHE.

Now that (* ... *) is no longer part of the term language, Tobias can
finish the infix syntax update project, to get rid of the slightly odd
extra spaces for infixes with *.

There is also a chance that this will speed up the inner parser and/or
grammar updates, which happen quite often (e.g. for local syntax).