[isabelle-dev] jdk-11

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Oct 13 14:36:48 CEST 2018

On 13/10/18 11:37, Makarius wrote:

> Here is another problem, which has been there for OpenJDK all the time,
> but I did not notice on my fancy UHD display:
>
>   * Degraded quality font-rendering on Linux.
>
> So with Isabelle/42504382f75b we are back to jdk-8u181, until Oracle
> finishes its job or we find some workarounds.

I've quickly tried openjdk-11 on Ubuntu 18.10 beta: the same low-grade
font rendering. It is particularly bad in Isabelle/jEdit file-open dialog.

In the past, OpenJDK often had a much better FreeType renderer, but now
it seems to be closer to the official OpenJDK version provided by
Oracle. This (re-)unification is a good thing, but until that version
gets a proper font-renderer it is unusable.

On Windows and macOS it works all fine.