[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Isabelle DejaVu fonts

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Nov 30 16:27:07 CET 2018

On 24/11/2018 19:51, Makarius wrote:

> *** Isabelle/jEdit Prover IDE ***
>
> * Fonts for the text area, gutter, GUI elements etc. use the "Isabelle
> DejaVu" collection by default, which provides uniform rendering quality
> with the usual Isabelle symbols. For Java/Swing GUI elements this
> requires the Metal look-and-feel: it is the default on Linux, but not
> macOS nor Windows. Line spacing no longer needs to be adjusted:
> properties for the old IsabelleText font had "Global Options / Text Area
> / Extra vertical line spacing (in pixels): -2", now it defaults to 0.

I have reworked this further in various changesets leading up to
Isabelle/429426640596. In particular, the Isabelle fonts are now forced
on all Java/Swing look-and-feels, by modifying some UIManager font
properties.

This appears to work reasonably well on Linux GTK+, Windows, Mac OS X,
but we need to keep an eye on it for fine points and drop-outs. (For
Metal look-and-feel and already worked uniformly before.)

The idea is that GUI elements use "Isabelle DejaVu Sans" (not "Mono")
wherever feasible. Thus all mathematical symbols and special  icons
should be always correctly displayed (e.g. in Hypersearch tree view).
The regular search dialog now also uses this font: before it was the
main text area font (usually the "Mono" version).