[isabelle-dev] Vampire

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Jul 6 18:14:51 CEST 2018

On 06/07/18 17:36, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

>>> Please send it to me once you have a chance.
>>
>> It seems that I did finally succeed in getting the option set. My
>> guess is that the Mac app doesn't necessarily save settings, depending
>> on whether you exit with Isabelle > Quit Isabelle or File > Exit. And
>> I’m not sure which one of these is supposed to work.
>
> I have stopped using Isabelle > Quit Isabelle (cmd-Q) because it does
> not ask you if you want to save modified files; it doesn't save them but
> creates autosave files. Quite possibly it does not save settings either.

You merely need to make sure that the MacOSX plugin is enabled. For
repository versions it is off by default, because the underlying
platform is not known. For official Isabelle applications (e.g. release
versions) the plugin is on by default.

The "jedit" manual includes this general explanation:

  The bundled ∗‹MacOSX› plugin provides various functions that are
  expected from applications on that particular platform: quit from menu
  or dock, preferences menu, drag-and-drop of text files on the
  application, full-screen mode for main editor windows. It is advisable
  to have the ∗‹MacOSX› plugin enabled all the time on that platform.

Moreover note that we have public mailing lists: isabelle-dev for
repository versions and isabelle-users for releases and release
candidates. I still consider these as canonical channels for open
communication, where it is possible to discuss arbitrary problems, in
order to get them sorted out eventually (even if this takes years),
but keeping problems secret means they cannot be solved.

In the past 10 years we have reached very high quality standards, and I
have no inclination to let this decay for no particular reasons.