[isabelle-dev] Isabelle build timing on high-end hardware

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Jul 2 15:57:50 CEST 2018

On 02/07/18 15:53, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> These speedups are certainly very impressive! I have wondered what sort of factor could be achieved with enough cores, but was never persistent enough in trying to borrow hardware from people who had it.

I was myself wondering about more cores: this is the best I have
recently seen, but cores alone don't crunch it.

Performance is ultimately a combination of many things: many cores, few
NUMA nodes, fast SSD, fast memory. (That hardware has 4x 16 2Rx8
PC4-2666V RAM.)

It also needs better scheduling on the Isabelle side: for this it always
helps if people buy test hardware and grant access to me :-)