[isabelle-dev] cardinality primitives in Isabelle/HOL?

Traytel Dmitriy traytel at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 27 17:45:55 CET 2018

Hi Larry,

the HOL-Cardinals library might be just right for the purpose:

theory Scratch
  imports "HOL-Cardinals.Cardinals"
begin

lemma "|A| ≤o |B| ⟷ (∃f. inj_on f A ∧ f ` A ⊆ B)"
  by (rule card_of_ordLeq[symmetric])

lemma "|A| =o |B| ⟷ (∃f. bij_betw f A B)"
  by (rule card_of_ordIso[symmetric])

lemma
  assumes "|A| ≤o |B|" "|B| ≤o |A|"
  shows "|A| =o |B|"
  by (simp only: assms ordIso_iff_ordLeq)

end

The canonical entry point for the library is the above HOL-Cardinals.Cardinals. Many of the theorems and definitions are already in Main, because the (co)datatype package is based on them. The syntax is hidden in main—one gets it by importing HOL-Library.Cardinal_Notations (which HOL-Cardinals.Cardinals does transitively).

Our ITP'14 paper explains the design of the library:

http://people.inf.ethz.ch/trayteld/papers/itp14-card/card.pdf

Dmitriy