[isabelle-dev] Uses of Jenkins at TUM

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon May 15 14:14:34 CEST 2017

On 25/04/17 09:41, Mathias Fleury wrote:

>> What is good about it?
> (I don't remember enough of the previous system to compare it to Jenkins.)

Lets go back to some points on this thread, now that I have finished
more implementation work.

>   * automatic testing (I have forgotten to add files a couple of times).

Forgetting to add files in a commit was one of the few cases where the
remote test actually had a benefit. The start of this thread was such an
incident, see Isabelle/006a274cdbc2.

Thinking once more about the problem, it is clear that the standard
"isabelle build" tool can do that check on the spot.  See now:

changeset:   65829:2fb85623c386
user:        wenzelm
date:        Sun May 14 20:16:13 2017 +0200
files:       src/Pure/General/mercurial.scala src/Pure/Tools/build.scala
implicitly check for unknown files (not part of a Mercurial repository);

 src/Pure/General/mercurial.scala |  31 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 src/Pure/Tools/build.scala       |  15 +++++++++++++++

>   * timings
>     (https://ci.isabelle.systems/statistics/isabelle-nightly-benchmark/index.html).
>     It is useful to see how it evolves over time.

I actually made this myself in reminiscence of the old isatest
statistics, see also various mails in the vicinity of
https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2016-August/007070.html

In that discussion it also became clear that Jenkins lacks scalable test
data management: queries via its API are very slow. This ultimately
motivated the PostgreSQL database server that is now behind
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/build_status/index.html (PostgreSQL is a
great product that does its job very well without much ado.)

To reintegrate the old data source, I have added a function to download
Jenkins logs into the same log directory as the other build_status
information, see:

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/rev/2773b6859c55
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/build_status/jenkins_isabelle-nightly-benchmark_64bit_6_threads/index.html
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/build_status/jenkins_isabelle-nightly-slow_64bit_8_threads/index.html

This replaces the former chart plotting directly from Jenkins, so Lars
can now dismantle https://ci.isabelle.systems/statistics (which still
says "Generated at Tue, 18 Apr 2017 00:02:04 GMT").