[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Isabelle/VSCode

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jul 5 20:47:03 CEST 2017

On 03/07/17 21:14, Simon Wimmer wrote:

> One thing that disturbed me in the beginning was that I first have to
> edit a document before any symbols get prettified.

This might be a weakness of the Prettify Symbols Mode, or just a mistake
in setting it up on my side. (For months, I have not heard anything from
its author CJ Bell, who is also the guy behind VSCoq.)

In the section about limitations in
src/Tools/VSCode/extension/README.md, I wrote:

  * Isabelle symbols are merely an optical illusion: it would be better
to make
    them a first-class Unicode charset as in Isabelle/jEdit.

This would also solve the Unicode copy-paste confusion, and make it work
as in Isabelle/jEdit.

Doing that might require a small patch here
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/blob/master/src/vs/base/node/encoding.ts
and then to rebuild/rebrand/repackage the whole VSCode/Electron
application. I still need to figure out how this works in the first
place ...