[isabelle-dev] Code generation: privacy of exported types in signatures

Frederic Tuong (Dr) ftuong at ntu.edu.sg
Sat Apr 15 13:25:14 CEST 2017

Dear Florian,

Your previous example works because it is foo which is given to deps_of
as argument, not the constant C. So one way for calling deps_of with C
is to replace foo by C:
export_code C in SML
(or also by writing @{code C} in ML)

On the other hand, without knowing if the exportation of constants
generated by datatypes has meanwhile become abandoned since Isabelle
2014, I can nevertheless suggest to catch earlier that situation and say
in the error message to first do: definition "foo = C". For example,
"export_code C in SML" terminates without detecting that C is a datatype
constructor (because constants are all uniquely mapped to "Constant" in
~~/src/Tools/Code/code_symbol.ML), whereas "code_reflect Z functions C"
terminates with an error encouraging us to look why in the source code:

Error: Type constructor (a) has not been declared
datatype 'a b = B of 'a c a and 'a c = C of 'a b
At (line 1 of "generated code")
Exception- Fail "Static Errors" raised

(In my case, the error message is more long because I am originally
working with a combination of datatypes written in more than 200 lines.)

This is why I still tend to think this is probably just a minor typo or
omission in the code generator that can be quickly fixed in the
isabelle-dev mailing list, or at least taken as a semantical discussion
on the generator. In my previous answer, apart from modifying deps_of
there are actually several ways of fixing that, then of course any
over-approximations on export_code look good to me, as long as it does
not differ too much from code_reflect... (or @{code}, for instance I
hope its semantical change was intentional during the introduction of
@{computation})

Best,
Frédéric

Fri, 14 Apr 2017 10:09:38 +0200, Florian Haftmann :