[isabelle-dev] Towards the release

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Oct 26 15:25:18 CEST 2016

On 26/10/16 11:58, Makarius wrote:

> In the past we've had particularly enthusiastic Mac system
> administration at TUM, but I don't see that at the moment. So I am
> reluctant to change a running system, especially macbroy2, which is very
> important for the Isabelle administration and release process.
>
> After the release, we can probably discontinue Mountain Lion, and update
> macbroy30 to El Capitan or Sierra.  Both macbroy30 and macbroy31 are
> MacBookPro6,2 from Mid 2010, so it looks like Sierra still works, but
> that might be also the latest possible version.

I have had a chat with the system administration at TUM. We can keep up
the status quo with some minor updates, but not much more.

So the present plan is this:

* After the release of Isabelle2016-1 (December 2016) we discontinue
support for 10.8 Mountain Lion and update macbroy30 to 10.12 Sierra
(probably the ultimate version that is possible on this hardware).

* After one more release cycle by Apple (2017?) we discontinue support
for 10.9 Mavericks and update macbroy2 to 10.11 El Capitan (definitely
the ultimate version that is possible on this hardware).

This means we hold up the standard of approx. 4 versions of Apple's OS,
whatever its name might be next year.