[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Oct 6 17:11:38 CEST 2016

On 06/10/16 17:03, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
> Sorry, I don't consider them useless.
>
> Tobias
>
> On 06/10/2016 17:00, Makarius wrote:
>> This is actually my main point of criticism for the present situation:
>> the Jenkins setup uses a lot of hardware resources, by doing too many
>> useless tests.

I need to be more specific:

  * Why is a plain "nightly build" done many times per day? (As
immediate reaction on repository pushes.)

  * Why are testboard policies intermixed with "nightly build" policies?

Add-on question:

  * Why is there a testboard at all, instead of plain ssh access?

None of this has been seriously discussed so far.

As far as I remember, the original Mira testboard was introduced in a
situation, where builds became so slow and unwieldy that the mental
model was changed to "batch-queue management" on a hypothetical
computing cluster. Luckily, David Matthews saved us from that, and made
everything small and fast again.