[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Thu Oct 6 16:44:33 CEST 2016

On 06/10/2016 14:34, Makarius wrote:
> On 03/10/16 17:12, Manuel Eberl wrote:
>> It would also be an effective safeguard against breaking the repository (and possibly even the AFP),
>> which /does/ happen quite frequently. (cf. the current situation where
>> things have been broken for days)
>
> I also prefer to have AFP working all the time, but that would require
> much more resources, both hardware and humans.

For a growing number of Isabelle users, the AFP is just as important as the
Isabelle repository. Hence the AFP needs to be tested and maintained just as
much, which requires (at least) the hardware resources that we provide; we
cannot dedicate half of it to manual testing.

Leaving the AFP entries broken actually increases the human resources required
to fix them later.

> A broken Isabelle repository is different: it means all wheels stand
> still.

Both for the repository and the AFP, everything is selective. Most people do not
suffer if HOL-Proofs does not build, for example. Just as many AFP entries are
irrelevant to most of us. But in the end we want all of it to work.

Tobias