[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Oct 6 14:00:07 CEST 2016

On 01/10/16 22:38, Lars Hupel wrote:
>> And where are the public sources of Isabelle/Jenkins?
>
> I feel like the other readers on this thread should know that you have
> asked me exactly the same question when you last visited Garching. I
> explained to you that some parts of the infrastructure cannot be public
> because they contain passwords and private keys. As for the public bits,
> you have already found and changed them.
>
> Given the apparent "rhetoric" nature of this question I can no longer
> assume that you are arguing in good faith.

I have asked this question several times privately, and always got the
same answer.

Putting secrets into a repository is a bad idea -- they stay there
forever, even if they are "deleted" in some versions. When it is clone
eventually, secrets will leak.

The reasons why I am asking for public sources are manifold, including
general "open-source" reasons: work can be inspected, discussed, reused etc.

I have often wondered how certain details are done by Jenkins, e.g.
logging into a remote machine, controlling the job and getting its results.

Moreover, just empirically from what I have seen in the last 10-15
years: Isabelle infrastructure that is not easily accessible does not
survive very long. (Mira was an example for that.)