[isabelle-dev] Problem with factorial-ring in combination with containers

Manuel Eberl eberlm at in.tum.de
Mon Oct 3 16:27:59 CEST 2016

I'm afraid it's not quite as easy as that. You cannot use the existing
combinators for comp_fun_commute for Gcd. For infinite sets, these
combinators return the neutral element (i.e. "0" for Gcd and "1" for
Lcm), but not every infinite set has Gcd 0 or Lcm 1. For setsum/setprod,
this works because it is quite simply defined that way, but for Gcd/Lcm
it is not.

So the alternative would be something like "Gcd A = (if finite A then
<combinator magic> else Code.abort …)". This does not work well either,
because it requires being able to decide "finite A", which typically
introduces the unwanted typeclass requirement "finite_UNIV".

My suggestion would be a combinator that, in order to implement a
function f :: 'a set => 'a, takes as arguments both a fold operation of
type "'a cfc" /and/ the function f itself.

It then performs the fold on any "finite by construction" set (e.g. sets
represented by the "set" constructor) and returns "Code.abort … (f A)"
for anything else (e.g. a set represented by the "coset" constructor).

I planned on implementing this at some point, but I've quite a bit of
other stuff to do and I wanted to discuss it first, so I never really
got around to doing it.

Cheers,

Manuel