[isabelle-dev] Problem with factorial-ring in combination with containers

Manuel Eberl eberlm at in.tum.de
Mon Oct 3 15:29:48 CEST 2016

This is a problem that I have given quite some thought in the past. The
problem is the following: You have a theory A providing certain
operations on sets (in this case: Gcd) and a theory B providing
implementations for sets (in this case: Containers).

The problem is that the code equations for the operations from A depend
on the implementation that is chosen for sets. A cannot give code
equations for every possible implementation of sets, while B cannot
possibly import every theory that has operations involving sets and give
code equations for it.

The best possible solution would be to imitate the way it is currently
done for setsum, setprod, etc: Define a sufficiently general combinator
that iterates over the set and give the code equations in A in terms of
this combinator. Then B only has to reimplement this generic combinator.

That would be the cleanest solution, but I'm not sure how such a
combinator would look like. The folding operation would probably have to
satisfy some associativity/commutativity laws and have that information
available at the type level (similar to the cfc type in Containers).

By the way, my current workaround for this problem is to declare all
problematic constants as "code_abort".

Cheers,

Manuel