[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Oct 1 14:56:50 CEST 2016

On 01/10/16 10:44, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> c) Sustainable system governance
>
> After a push to the main repository, there might still be undiscovered
> issues, e.g. document production, platform-specific drop-outs, worse
> resource usage etc.  Hence the regular regression test of the main
> repository with wide platform coverage, systematic collection of
> statistics etc.
>
> In my perception the current Jenkins infrastructure has a slight bias
> towards b);  but I guess the framework is flexible enough to cover c)
> also, although I am not that involved to tell on the spot what would be
> missing here.

I guess there is no technical problem to do c) with Jenkins, only a lack
of understanding how important long-term testing over many platforms
with many parameters is.

Isabelle + AFP has grown a lot in the last 2-3 years, which can be seen
in the very nice overview https://devel.isa-afp.org/statistics.shtml

That growth will come to a grinding halt, if the continuous performance
tuning of the system can no longer be done properly, due to lack of
important test data.