[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Oct 1 14:48:03 CEST 2016

On 27/09/16 11:43, Lars Hupel wrote:
> Finding out the latest status is as easy as visiting
> <https://devel.isa-afp.org/status.shtml>, which includes the Mercurial
> IDs, the build time, the build cause and the link to the full build log.
>
> Even more information is available, as usual, through the Jenkins API.
> The entire history is recorded and formally available (admittedly not in
> the repository).

Mira was actually quite good in adjoining information to the repository
history views of the two repositories. Over a few years, that was the
main tool for me to figure out what works and what not, and to see when
it stopped working etc. Right now, it requires much more clicking, and I
am still unsure where the information is actually hidden.

Also note that the Mira architects were actually looking at Jenkins at
that time, and pointed out that it was a bit old-fashioned in focusing
on "latest" versions by default and lacking proper changeset identification.

Jenkins might have catched up a bit in recent years, but such huge tools
usually don't change substantially.

This means, any Isabelle tools built on top of Jenkins need to try hard
to do it the proper way, e.g. working over timeless / stateless
Mercurial history in a monotonic fashion. Views should make it easy to
see "into the history", without requiring a lot of clicking.