[isabelle-dev] Integers in Poly/ML

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Wed Nov 2 15:37:03 CET 2016

I value the guarantees we get from having proper integers a lot. No worries.

With bounded integers, we would have to worry about what happens to
over/underflow exceptions: can handlers for such exceptions in a piece of user
code lead to unsoundness in the inference system? At first it seems that if such
an exception propagates out of the kernel, no incorrect theorems can arise
(because control has left the kernel). However, in the presence of higher-order
functions (e.g. user functions can be passed to kernel code) this is not so
clear to me.

Tobias