[isabelle-dev] Proper sign of gcd / lcm on type int

Amine Chaieb amine at chaieb.org
Thu Jun 2 10:06:01 CEST 2016

I believe Florian's proposal is good. On a proof-engineering level, the
only "inconvinience" is mainly that the property

gcd a b * lcm a b = a * b

does not hold as such but generally I suspect in the form

gcd a b * lcm a b = normalize(a * b)  -- The normalize in GCD.thy perhaps
has the property normalize (a*b) = normalize a * normalize b

This inconvinience is of course outeighted by the canonical representative
choice of representatives as Manuel points out.

The drawback on generated code by

>         Integer.gcd = PolyML.gcd
>         Integer.lcm = abs oo PolyML.lcm

is that in algorithms computing successive gcds, on every recursive call a
normalization step happens. For integers vs PolyML.lcm this might be
unnoticeable, but for more complex structures, appropriate code equations
might be more efficient.

Amine.