[isabelle-dev] Implicit eta-contraction during printing and product binders [was: NEWS]

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Tue Sep 22 16:39:32 CEST 2015

Dear Florian,

I get the definite impression that the whole operation is out of proportion wrt
the benefits. As far as I can tell, the result is a unification of two
previously distinct constants, split and prod_case. I must confess that this
duplication has never bothered me. Now the eta-contraction machinery needs to be
revised, possibly resulting in a new syntactic constant, which is a further
complication.

I would prefer to leave things as they are now. That print translation is ok and
you would be moving the complications elsewhere. We really have more important
issues to work on.

Tobias