[isabelle-dev] NEWS: 'consider' command and "cases" method

Manuel Eberl eberlm at in.tum.de
Wed Sep 23 08:41:10 CEST 2015

Is there a way to use ‘consider’ with fixed variables?

E.g. if I have a rule like ereal_cases:

    (⋀r. x = ereal r ⟹ thesis) ⟹
    (x = ∞ ⟹ thesis) ⟹
    (x = - ∞ ⟹ thesis) ⟹ thesis

I would like to write

    consider "x = ∞" | "x = -∞" | "x = ereal x'" for x'

But that syntax is not supported. Is there another way except the rather
clumsy

    consider "x = ∞" | "x = -∞" | "∃x'. x = ereal x'"

?

Cheers,

Manuel